• Facilitating the warehouse operation from start to finish, in to out:
Goods are delivered to our warehouse on a daily basis and then processed either for store display stock, internet orders for immediate shipment or for stock. The 'goods in' and packing area is a tight space that needs careful managing. The warehouse space is on a number of levels and so this means lifting and carrying and saving on your gym membership :)
• Organising stock and recording stock and stock locations efficiently.
Our admin 'back end' linked to our website is sophisticated and stock is held in fluid locations which are printed on all picking notes. Stock needs to be promptly checked in to make available for sale.
• Picking and Packing orders efficiently and protectively in a timely fashion.
Some products need extra packing before they are placed with our couriers. Our wide inventory comprises big and light to small and heavy and everything in-between. We have a very low level of 'damage in transit' and wish to keep it that way. We've built up a good knowledge of what works for what and will share that, however we are always eager to learn new methods. Customers also expect their goods to be with them promptly and thus we aim to turn round and despatch all our orders the day after they are placed at the latest. The store is generally replenished on a daily basis. This element of the stock needs unpacking and pricing before it goes to the shop. An excellent knowledge of English is essential.
• Liaising with couriers to optimise the work flow.
Not all of our suppliers book in deliveries but many do, and couriers collecting are at reasonably fixed times. We have excellent relationships with all third party suppliers and wish to maintain that whilst remaining in control of our day.
• Helping with ocassional local and national deliveries.
Whilst we use national and local couriers for most deliveries there are some orders which necessitate personal involvement. Currently this is done by existing staff but if you are over 25 and have a clean driving licence, you will, in time, be able assist with this work and visit some of our lovely customers.
• Improving the way we do things.
As a growing company we need to be adapting our systems and processes all of the time. You should be comfortable helping us recognise when the time is right for change and helping us to implement these changes.
• Helping us maintain and improve the way we look.
This means both in the warehouse and the shop. We have 2 small courtyards and try to keep them looking their best when we can, but your extra help will be welcome and become your responsibility.
We're looking for people with the following attributes:
• Passion for your work - for one or more of the areas we work in or simply retail itself. Perhaps you've had some recent experience that you would like to build on?
• Friendliness - pleasant to work with and able to interact with customers, colleagues, couriers, suppliers etc in a polite, positive manner, both in person AND over the phone/email (thus good standards of English grammar are expected and a good telephone 'voice').
• Flexibility - happy and willing to take on a wide variety of tasks (often at the same time) and complete them to a high standard. Occasional weekend working may be necessary at peak times but time would be given off in lieu for this.
• Willingness to learn - able to accept change as an ongoing part of the company's growth and absorb information on our ranges of merchandise.
• Physical fitness - as the job entails lifting merchandise of all shapes sizes and weights around the shop and warehouse.
• Previous work experience - ideally some experience in the areas mentioned above - i.e warehouse, fulfilment/packing.
• IT skills - comfortable using with bespoke and proprietary software. Training will be given on our systems and we expect people to be able to make the most of them. Our sophisticated back-end system processes customer orders and generates picking and delivery notes along with courier labels etc. We use the metapack system to make courier choice but need to recognise when the result is not right and make amendments.
• DIY skills - both in the shop and the warehouse we are constantly adding to and enhancing the displays and stock holding. Thus being quick and confident with a screwdriver and the like would be a definite advantage to us.
We deal with a wide variety of tasks and while everybody has their specific roles, due to our small numbers, everyone must be prepared to ‘muck in’ with all aspects of customer service and order fulfilment at times. Thus help is at hand to bust through backlogs and the successful candidate will be able to recognise this and call for help when needed.